Importance of Jurisprudence
It is often said that jurisprudence being an abstract and theoretical subject is not of any practical use but it is not correct to say so because jurisprudence has its own utility.
Its utilities are as follows –
- Salmond pointed out that, jurisprudence has its own intrinsic interest like any other subject of serious scholarship. like- a mathematician investigates about the number theory not with the aim of seeing his findings put to practical use but by reason of the fascination which he holds for the subject, likewise the writers on jurisprudence may be impelled to his subject by his intrinsic interest.
- Jurisprudence also has its practical applicability. It seeks to rationalise the concept of law which enables us to solve different problems involving intricateness(जटिलता) of law. In other words, it serves to render the complexities of law more manageable and rational and in this way, theory can help us to improve the practice of law.
- Jurisprudence has a great educational value also, the logical analysis of legal concepts widens the outlook of lawyers and sharpens their logical technique. It helps them in shading aside their rigidity and formalism & trains them to concentrate on social realities and the functional aspects of law. For Instance – A proper understanding of law of contract may perhaps require some knowledge of economics & economic theory may need some knowledge of sociology.
- It is an Eye of Law in the sense that Jurisprudence throws light on the basic ideas & the fundamental principles of law in a given society. That is why it has been characterized as the “eye of law” by some jurists.
- Jurisprudence helps the judges and the lawyers in ascertaining the true meaning of the laws passed by the legislatures’ by providing the rules of interpretation. It also furnish them opportunity to pinpoint the lacaune, shortcomings and defects in the laws framed by the legislature and provides remedy to them through their judicial interpretation.
- The study of Jurisprudence helps in rationalising the thinking of the students & prepares them for an upright civil life.
- Jurisprudence may also be helpful to the legislators who plays a crucial role in the process of law making.
- Jurisprudence provides the rules for interpreting the laws.
- It is to be noted that students are the Future of the country. Thus, if they acquire the knowledge of their legal rights and duties and of basic things about law and administration etc., such knowledge will help them in becoming a good citizen.
- According to Dias, The study of Jurisprudence provides an opportunity for the lawyers to bring theory and life into focus, for it concerns human thought in relation to social existence.
Broadly speaking, there are 3 kinds of laws that regulate human conduct in society, namely,
- the law of theologians,
- law of moralist, and
- the law of the jurist.
Jurisprudence is mainly concerned with law of jurists and analysis as to how law operates in a given society. It is concerned with different sources of law and various legal concepts.
As rightly pointed out by Justice Markandey katju, study of law comprises its origin common, nature, forms, concepts and its role in the society.